Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 6

Today was another work day at Ereri primary school. We started our morning with jamming to the lion king soundtrack on the bus ride, it fit perfectly. We arrived to the schools and Trish told us that only 3 people could go into each class and she was going to put one of the people who worked in the trench yesterday in my class, so she needed someone to volunteer somewhere else. Since no one else was volunteering, i reluctantly said i would help in the trench. It was obvious that i was not very happy and it broke my heart that i was not going to be with my girls that I had started becoming so close to. I had also promised the kids that i would see them the next day, but God made everything work out for His good and made me eat my words from earlier that day. I started out my day by sorting rice with the women who work in the kitchen. I then left the kitchen to start digging in the trench. In the trench, i met one of the older boys that i spoke with yesterday's mother. I was able to have a very solid conversation with her and all of the other women. not to mention, it was very cool to talk to all of the older people in swahili! They all asked me about my family and i was once again able to talk about God and how God has been a great father to me and that the best thing to do is trust in Him. All the women had great responses, they smiled and told me how much they loved me and wanted me to come back to Kenya and stay with them. I then helped start digging the trench, which was some HARD work. They would use a pick-ax to chop up the dirt and the ground and then another person would come behind them with a shover and clear out the dirt. After lunch, we all split up into 3 teams and went on house visits. We walked a good mile or two to a community close by and they showed us their huts. The hut is smaller than my room at home and sometimes up to 5 people can live in one. On the way back to Ereri, i turn around and Esther is running after me and all the others. She literally came out of the middle of no where and ran straight to me and grabbed my hand. We walked all the way back to Ereri holding hands, singing "Asante Sana Yesu" "Waka Waka and "Deep Down In My Heart" Moments like this are the ones that meant the most to me.

This little girl stole my heart. Not only did we connect with the fact that we dont have fathers, she has a very similar personality. She followed my every move. If i told one of the other kids to do something or if i had to tell them to stop she would quote me and act like another little teacher. The moments I spent with her, Annah, Ivan and Jacquelyn are moments that will be engrained in my memory. I cannot wait to return and see these children that have a very special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment