Friday, May 18, 2012

Arriving and Adjusting


We are FINALLY in Kijabe!! After 3 long days, we finally arrived. I have realized that I love going to new places, but I absolutely HATE the travel. Flights are just not my friend. My first flight to New Jersey was delayed an hour, I was awake for the entire 7 hour flight to Amsterdam and I felt sick the entire flight to Nairobi. I have been so excited for this trip, but the weight of being gone for 7 weeks definitely hit me on my way to Amsterdam. I realized how much I was going to miss everyone on the way there. Once arriving to Nairobi, I found Cassie and the man who was there to pick us up.  He drove us to a little motel in Nairobi and told us there would be a man there to pick us up in the morning. I managed to get a solid 5 hours of sleep until my body told me it was done sleeping and I was wide-awake at 5 a.m. Before making it to Kijabe, the one thing that was keeping me going was Isaiah 41. Fear not, the Lord is with you. He has chosen me as His servant and He will guide me with His righteous right hand. Before Kijabe, I was feeling a little uneasy about the whole trip. It was hard arriving alone, not knowing where we were and not having any means of communication, but arriving in Kijabe gave me much more comfort about the journey. The house we are staying in is precious. It’s a little two-story house, Cassie and I both have our own rooms and we’re staying with a girl named Lauren. She works for Cure and has been such a help to us in adjusting. I can't wait to get to know both of these girls in the next 2 months. The view we have from the hospital is amazing. The hospital is located in the Rift Valley and with a five minute walk, you can see everything. 
Home for the next 2 months!
just our view...no big deal
new friends :) 
Today was our first day in the hospital! Our day started out with worship in the O.R. with the nurses and the doctors. There is a devotion every morning before work starts and Fridays are singing day. Christ comes first at this hospital. Which is how it should be. The prayer and worship that took place before work even began made it so clear that these people have a huge heart for the lost and that the hearts of these patients really matter to them. It was really cool to hear them pray over the patients and to worship the One who we are here for. Such a great way to start off the day. Fridays are slower than the rest of the week so there were no surgeries planned, but we were able to walk around the ward, meet the children and paint the mothers nails. I love connecting with the mothers by painting their nails. It's so funny because I try to talk with them and they just laugh (probably because I sound like a southern hick trying to speak Swahili), but painting their nails allows you to connect on such a different level, regardless of the language barrier. I am so excited next week to come, to get in a routine of things and experience more of what takes place at the hospital. 


Prayer Request: 

  • For a continued ease in adjusting to a new lifestyle. 
  • For me to fearlessly and boldly proclaim the Gospel while I am here. 
  • For my heart to be open and receptive to anything the Lord has for me. 

3 comments:

  1. cried in Books a Million while reading this. thinking about you and praying for you! you are so brave :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, Hays. Love your heart for Him. Keep up the blogging, praying for you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kates :) love you and can't wait to hear about your trip!!

      Delete