Sunday, July 1, 2012

Two Months Disappear

My time in Kenya is swiftly coming to an end and my heart breaks as I think about leaving Kijabe. There are so many mixed emotions that I have about leaving this place. It has been an amazing two months. I am very excited to get home and see friends and family, but I also hate the idea of spending the rest of my summer with a cell phone, a car and beside a pool. My heart desperately wants to continue serving.

What a better way to spend the last weekend in Kijabe than hiking the local volcano, Mount Longonot. This hike was not nearly as bad as our previous hike through the middle of a forest, but it was pretty intense. We hiked to the top of the volcano, took a lunch break and then hiked the circumference of the volcano.

Matatu Ride!

Mt. Longonot 
The second highest peak had two routes, one was more of a trail and the other was basically rock climbing to the top. The boys picked the rock climbing option and of course the competitiveness in me wouldn't let me take the trail. We hit the rocks. I tried to play it off and act cool, but I was honestly pretty scared. There was one point where you had to strain yourself to get the step up and absolutely nothing to catch you from behind. We surfed the rocks all the way down from the peak and then hiked our way to the highest peak of the day. Not thinking, none of us wore sunscreen and I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from 3rd degree burns.

Highest peak!

After hiking the outer rim!

Warning: wear sunscreen. 
I would really appreciate prayers as I make my way back to the States. I'm really worried about the transition back, but I'm also going to need a lot of prayer as I process these past 2 months. So much has taken place that I don't even know what to think when I look back on this experience. There are so many times that I have experienced the Lord speaking to me in the past 2 months, but I really need to sit and really digest all that He has taught me and wanted to show me. I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me get here. Thank you for believing in the work that the Lord has set out for me.

I'll be observing a few cleft lip and cleft palate surgeries and then it's off to the airport. I'm really going to miss this place. Kwaheri (goodbye) for now.

Our Cat had Kittens!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment