Thursday, June 28, 2012

T-minus 5 Days

How can it be that this is my last week at the hospital?? Time has literally flown by and it breaks my heart that my time is so close to being up.

This past weekend was spent laughing hysterically and in fellowship with friends. Friday we had our guy friends over to play cards and eat dinner. Saturday we ventured to Nakuru where we spent the day playing with baboons right outside of the National Park. We spent a little time shopping in the market and bought some chips (fries) at a local restaurant before heading back to Kijabe. Sunday we went to a Swahili church service and later said goodbye to our friends as they journeyed back to America.

Our new friend 
That baboon was in the drivers seat
not long after this was taken. 
the crew 
Sunday Afternoon with new friends
The hospital has been at a slow pace this week. They are preparing for a cleft lip and cleft palate clinic that will be taking place for the next two weeks. A team of 16 Americans will be arriving this weekend and will be working nonstop for the next two weeks as they provide surgeries for 60-80 children. Monday I had the chance to assist in a multiple toe excision and that has been the excitement of my week. It is a continued frustration to see a lack of health knowledge here amongst the patients. I have seen quite a few patients who come back for their follow up visits and have not taken proper care of their wounds or haven't done any of the physical therapy that they have been instructed. After care is one of the most important steps in healing properly and to see the neglect is so aggravating.

This weekend we will be hiking Mt. Longonot and preparing our things for our departure on Monday. Coming back to America is going to be difficult. I know the Lord has me in school and living life in America for a reason, but I hate leaving this amazing place and going back to sitting in a classroom. One thing I am really having to learn right now is to find joy in all seasons of life. Isaiah 40:31 says "but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles..." In this time of waiting, I am trusting in the Lord for His strength and trusting that it will only better my future whether that be on or off the mission field. I will be joyful as I make my way back to a time of transitions back in South Carolina. I am learning more and more about the importance of love while I am here and realizing the terrible job I have done of loving my mother in times of trial. I'm sure that there are even more frustrations waiting for me at home with her and Mark, but I hope and pray that I can be more loving and compassionate to them.

Prayer request:
1. Transitioning back into the American culture well.
2. Continued growth in my faith.
3. A life change for my mom and a strength for turning away from addiction.

Thanks to everyone for all of the prayers and the support that I have had while in Kenya!!

No comments:

Post a Comment