Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 3 (sorry it's all taking so long!!)

Well, Emily Anna and I got very restless nights of sleep and of course our alarm didnt go off, so we woke up with 10 minutes to get ready, get packed and leave for Segera. We made it, but we were cutting it close! The land is beautiful here. I love Africa so far. On the bus ride we turned a lot of heads. One man that was driving beside us kept speeding up and asking for my number, which then turned to him giving me his number on a sheet of paper through the window of the bus. The children love to wave to us using both hands, they smile and they shout to the white people.

The journey to Segera took about 4 hours, but it went by so fast because all of us were so busy site seeing. Arriving to Ereri School was very overwhelming. There were so many children lined up to wave and greet us. The teenage girls and older woman were greeting us with song and as soon as we stepped of our bus there were hands grabbing us from all around. The people performed a welcome ceremony with song, dancing and a tour. The Kenyans pulled us into the dancing, I was the first to get pulled out there and we all celebrated our arrival. The children were the ones to show us around their school. Annah grabbed my hand and didnt let go until i was leaving. These people amaze me with their love and joy that they show for others and the pride that they have in their school is unbelievable. The children LOVED playing with our cameras and all of the people were so amazed that i could speak Swahili. I would say to them in swahili that i knew a small amount of swahili and they would run around repeating my words to all their friends and telling everyone that i could speak it. Annah kept repeating to me "Mzungu ninampenda" which means "white person, i love you" I have never felt so loved until i came here.

It is so cool to come to another country and see the works of the same God in America being done in Africa. It blows my mind how big and awesome He is. One of our 410 Bridge leaders, Andrew spoke to us tonight and encouraged us to focus on friendships this week. We are not here to help them work and/or survive. They can handle that on their own. We are here to show God's love and to shine His light by building frisndhips and getting to know the Kenyans. You see, they can handle it all without us. They work harder, some of them pray harder and they live in a beautiful land without distractions like we have at home. Quite frankly, they live better lives than we do. Not easier lives, just overall better lives.

God is showing me so much on this trip. His beauty, His fullness, His purity, His love. He continues to reveal more about himself to me daily. I continue to pray for what He wants for my future. I could truly see myself calling Kenya home, but i will wait and be patient for the calling of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment